In private practice since 1996, Michael (Mike) Kennedy specializes in serving businesses. The majority of his experience is in contract law and litigation, alternative dispute resolution, insurance issues, construction law and appellate matters.
Mike approaches his clients’ concerns with a pragmatic, results-oriented approach, which has resulted in a proven track record of achievement. A seasoned litigator, he has a wide range of experience in litigation matters including handling all aspects of arbitration and appeals.
He has an extensive background in real estate issues and the legal challenges that face contractors and small businesses. He has wide-ranging knowledge and experience with:
- Representing clients on zoning, licensing, and other regulatory matters before municipal and state agencies
- Assisting in planning and developing contracts for construction projects and complying with construction lien laws, complex construction defect litigation, collection matters and restriction enforcement
- Managing complex serious injuries, property claims, and related litigation for commercial general liability policies from pre-litigation to trial.
- Author of winning brief in the Michigan Supreme Court regarding denial of coverage for personal injury claim in the amount of over $2 million
- First chair in multiple successful arbitrations of construction lien claims in excess of $200,000
- Overturned arbitrator’s refusal to grant attorney fees and costs to prevailing lien claimant
- Obtained insurance coverage for client on a $1 million personal injury claim where coverage was initially denied
- First chair/lead negotiator in UCC supplier breach of contract case involving over $500,000 in damages